Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Spaghetti Squash & Pork Stir Fry (Eating Well Mag)

Last sunday was the final day of the Skippack Farmer's Market for the season. Man am I bummed. Kim K and I drove out there and loaded up on fresh fruits and veggies from Stauffer Family Farms. 5 generations of growing in Pennsylvania and going strong. For $18 I got a 1/2 gallon of fresh cider, 8 pears, 8 apples, 1/2 pint raspberries, 4 cukes, 8 big potatoes, 6 heirloom tomatoes, and a big fat spaghetti squash. Josefina ate all the raspberries and is working on the pears too.
I was googling spaghetti squash recipes (I have never cooked one) and stumbled across one from the good folks at Eating Well magazine. Now, those of you who know me know that I LOVE Eating Well magazine. Get yourself a subscription, it is worth the $20. They focus on seasonal food, and do alot of "recipe makeovers" to make stuff better for you. They also have several great cookbooks out, including one called "Eating Well Serves Two." But I digress...Anyway, this one looks perfect, especially because I have a freezer full of pork (see earlier posts). And I get excited about sitting down to dinner and realizing that 90% of what's on the table was grown/raised within 100 miles of my house.
Here's the link:
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/spaghetti_squash_pork_stir_fry.html

Make it and let me know how it was! I am making it tonight.
UPDATE:
I made it. It was fantastic!

3 comments:

ironicbanana said...

i'm so excited to cook this spaghetti squash! I too have never cooked one so this is a grand experiment. Have you found any resources on how to store squash over the winter months? (Since I bought 6 for $6?)

Karel said...

IronicB--
Great question. Recipezaar has good storing tips here: http://www.recipezaar.com/library/spaghetti-squash-132

I also found it useful to watch a short video on prepping the squash. Youtube's got a great one here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDBtvl4PVCE

karel said...

This recipe was fantastic! Could easily be made using chicken, beef, or any vegetarian protein (especially tempeh).