Monday, January 11, 2010

Healthy "Pizza"

So I already told you that I've been following Joel Furhman's "Eat to Live." Just to set the record straight, I do this 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time I eat what I want. An example of my typical week looks like this:
Monday thru Friday: fresh fruits and veggies; beans & nuts; and tofu; 1-2 servings of whole grains a day; green tea & water. Saturday night: pizza and beer (or some other yummy meal indulgence).

I have had to get creative in finding fast meals to make M-F for me and my family. One of my favorites is healthy "pizza." I am quite fond of all pizzas, healthy or not, so I find any excuse to eat it. Here is one of my standby meals for when I get home late and don't have much time to cook:
1 ball whole wheat pizza dough
tomato sauce (recipe in another posting)
1 can artichoke hearts, drained
oregano & parsley.

Preheat the oven to 475*. Roll out your dough & place on a pizza pan. Roll up the edges of the pizza to make a crust (this prevents the edges from burning). Lightly spray with pure olive oil cooking spray. Cover pie with tomato sauce. Now chop up those artichoke hearts very fine. It's almost like you are making an artichoke spread. Spread the hearts across the entire pizza. Sprinkle with oregano & parsley. Now, if you are ignoring Dr. Fuhrman, you can sprinkle some parmasean across the top of the pizza here. It will get brown and yummy after baked. Lightly spray the top with more olive oil. Throw it in the oven, and bake till the crust begins to brown. Congrats, you just ate an entire pound of green vegetables!

No comments: