Monday, November 30, 2009

Heirloom Seeds for your kitchen garden

I know it's not even Xmas yet, but you may want to go ahead and order your seeds for next summer's garden. I've found that if I wait till Feb, there's a backlog. Also, it's not going to hurt your seeds to start them inside pretty early.

My favorite place to order seeds is here. This is Heirloom Seeds. They are an awesome family company in PA. They've got many organic varieties as well. I also like that they have a section titled "Southern Favorites" for all y'all living down south dealing with heat and bugs and such. HS gives you a nice description of each variety, so you can be sure to pick the one that's best for you.

Seed packs also make great stocking stuffers for the new gardener. Start with something easy like pole beans or cucumbers (the "muncher" is my favorite) till you get the hang of it. Remember, a $2 pack of tomato seeds will give you enough tomatoes to feed your family, your neighbor's family, and all your friends for the entire season.

Don't have a backyard? Tomatoes, basil, eggplant, and peppers grow great in containers. You can pick up a book on container gardening to help you out as well. I barely have a backyard because I live in the city, so I use containers alot. I also have convinced several people to let me grow a few plants in their yards in the 'burbs, and that's more fun for everyone! You might be able to find a community garden near you by clicking here. Community gardens give you a space to grow your food.

Take a little risk and grow a garden this year! Let me know if you have questions or need more info.

No comments: