Sunday, October 7, 2012

Revamped Banana Bread!

Oh how I love banana bread!  And I have finally tweaked my mom's recipe to modernize it.  Bye-bye Crisco!  Here we go:

1/3 c. applesauce
3/4 c. sugar or 1/2 c. agave nectar
1/2 T. oil (I use safflower generally, but grapeseed or canola works fine)
2 eggs or egg replacer
1 tsp vanilla
2 to 3 ripe bananas (the blacker the skin, the better)
2 c. all purpose flour (or K.A.'s white wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 c. soymilk + 1 T white vinegar (aka "buttermilk")
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Mix your wets (except for the soymilk/vinegar), and add mashed bananas.  Mix your drys separately.  Add your wets to your drys, mix.  Gradually add the soymilk/vinegar and mix well.

Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour in a 350 degree oven.  Check with a toothpick for doneness (doneness?).  Cool 5 min in pan, then flip out and cool 5 min upside down.  When completely cool, eat it, or wrap it up and freeze it.  Mom used to make a double batch and freeze one for later.

Oh and by the way...if you use that egg replacer, it's VEGAN!!!  :)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks awesome. I can replace the sugar with maple sugar, and will omit the oil

Sweet blog.

Karel T said...

Where do you get maple sugar? I would love to try that. Usually I bake with maple syrup, but I think this recipe works better with a dry sugar, not a liquid. Let me know how it goes w/o the oil, as I would prefer that too.
The original recipe called for 1/4 cup crisco, 1 1/2 cup sugar, white flour and 2 eggs. I do think that if you use bananas with very black skin, you can reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup.