Sunday, May 5, 2013

Greatest (and easiest) cooked salsa ever.

I saw my sis-in-law make this a few months ago, and I was blown away by how good and easy it is.  For the record, I'm not sure I am making it exactly the same way she did, but who cares!  It's really yummy, and isn't that all that matters?  Now let's get to it:


  •   1 container grape or cherry tomatoes (I think the orange ones taste the best) or 1 pint fresh from your garden
  •   1 clove garlic
  •   1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (from the can--I freeze the leftovers)
  •  A little olive oil
  •  salt, to taste

Turn the heat to medium-high on the stove, and throw a non-stick pan on the burner.  Drizzle a little olive oil in the pan (or use broth if you are avoiding oil/extra fat) just to coat the bottom.  Throw the garlic clove in.  When the garlic is fragrant, add all the tomatoes at once (don't burn yourself!) and toss around the pan a bit.  Keep the heat up pretty high while you cook the tomatoes, remembering to shake the pan here and there so they don't stick.  When the tomatoes start to look roasted (browning a bit here and there), salt them and turn off the heat.  Throw everything in your pan directly into the blender, and add the chipotle pepper too.  Turn that blender on high till the salsa is smoooooooooth.  Done.
(NOTE: If you are spice-sensitive, you may want to use 1/4 or 1/2 a pepper instead)

I LOVE this salsa with baked corn chips, or as a sauce with burritos, avocados, or on wraps.
It will keep in the fridge for about 4 days, but it won't last that long because you will eat it quick.
My dude puts it in fish tacos with a vinegary cabbage slaw and sliced avocados.


No comments: