Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Smoothies 2013

I know, I know--someone says "Vitamix" and you either A) roll your eyes because you don't have one (but secretly wish you did) or B) jump up and down as your eyes turn to hearts because you do have one.
Well, my eyes are hearts.  I generally have a smoothie or fresh juice for breakfast every day.  Usually I make at least a quart, so I can sip on it all morning.  Or divide the quart in 1/2, and have one in the am and one at around 3pm.  A 3pm smoothie or fresh juice will totally get rid of the mid-afternoon slump.
Here are a few of my favorite smoothie recipes from 2013:

Chocolate Cherry
2 cups coconut water
handful of spinach leaves
1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
1 banana
1/2 bag (2-3 cups) frozen pitted cherries
splash of vanilla

Speedy Grapefruit
2 grapefruits, peeled (of course I like the ruby reds from Texas)
handful of ice
squeeze of honey, to taste

Favorite Green
1/2 bunch kale
2 bananas
2 cups water
1/2 bag frozen pineapple

A Soup, Not A Smoothie Actually
1 red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
1/4 cup raw cashews
1 cup water
pinch of sea salt
(3 minutes in the vitamix will warm this.  If you have a regular blender, just lightly heat after you blend)

Favorite Juices of 2013
grapefruit/orange/lemon
and
watermelon/strawberry

Prepare: Put ingredients in the vitamix in the order listed above--the order is very important for nice blending.  If you are vitamix-less, just do whatever you normally do with your blender.  For the juices you can use a juicer (here's what I use), or just run your juice through a nut milk bag after vitamixing.

NOTE: I realize we are only in the 5th month of 2013, but I think my smoothie/juicing follows a fiscal calendar, starting in the Fall.


No comments: